The Jonathan Stout Orchestra, featuring Hilary Alexander
The Jonathan Stout Orchestra, featuring Hilary Alexander is the nation’s premier swing dance big band. The 14-piece JSO captures the unmatched excitement and true rhythmic pulse of the Swing-era, and is the most danceable big band anywhere. The band follows the templates of Benny Goodman and Count Basie – orchestras that were aggressive and tight, and filled with all-star soloists that bring the fire on every song, regardless of tempo.
The Orchestra was founded in 2004 after promoters demanded a full big band that was as danceable and exciting as the Campus Five. Jonathan and Hilary responded with a big band that was designed from the outset to be the ultimate swing dance orchestra, and has gone on to become the gold-standard in the swing dance world.
The Orchestra has been featured at Swing dance events across the country: (partial list)
- Lindy Focus (Asheville, NC)
- Camp Hollywood / National Jitterbug Championships (Los Angeles)
- The International Lindy Hop Championships (Washington, D)
- Midsummer Night Swing at Lincoln Center in 2005, 2011, and 2015. (NYC)
- All Balboa Weekend (Cleveland)
- Beantown Swing Camp (Boston)
- Seattle Lindy Extravaganza
- Austin Lindy Exchange
- Rhythmic Arts Festival (San Diego)
Festival and municipal events have included: Sweet and Hot Jazz Festival, Culver City Music Festival, Downtown Anahamein Summer Music Festival.